I’ve written before about how easy it is for parties to get a copy of their divorce order if they were divorced in Australia. I’ve also written about the changes in the 2018 Guidelines that allow us to accept a stat dec where evidence of a divorce granted overseas is impossible to obtain. This question is a bit along those lines. Shamini asks:

I have a groom who was married in Japan (he’s Australian). He has been trying to get a copy of his divorce certificate but his ex in Japan isn’t helping. He’s still trying but asked if it doesn’t get one before the wedding date can he sign a stat Dec? I know he’s trying with the ex and I’ve advised to go to the Japanese embassy but what happens if by the wedding he still can’t get one. Can he do a stat dec advising he’s been to the embassy etc?