It is a legal requirement that couples who want to get married in Australia give at least one month’s, and no more than 18 months’, notice through lodging a Notice of Intended Marriage with an Authorised Celebrant. However in some exceptional circumstances it is possible to have that notice period shortened by applying to a prescribed authority for a Shortening of Time. In capital cities prescribed authorities can generally be found at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages; for regional and rural areas the list of prescribed authorities should be consulted.

Making such an application is the couple’s responsibility, but there are some things the celebrant needs to do to support the application.